Delicious Sugar-Free Desserts
Back in the day, sugar-free meant metallic-tasting, somewhat inedible desserts. But now, with natural sugar alternatives, those who want to cut calories or just stay away from processed sugar have a (good) hot mess of treats to choose from without sacrificing flavor.
Chocolate lava cake
Serves 8 (individual ramekins)
7.5 ounces 85% dark chocolate
4.25 ounces butter
4 eggs plus one egg yolk
2 ounces sweetener, such as Truvia
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
¼ cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
- Spray individual ramekins with cooking spray or butter.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over medium heat then set aside to cool.
- Combine the eggs and Truvia in a medium bowl.
- Add the cornstarch and flour and stir to combine into a smooth mixture. Set aside.
- Warm the milk in a pan over medium heat until small bubbles form around the edges. Remove from the heat for about 90 seconds before combining with the egg mixture.
- Whisk about 1/3 of the milk into the egg mixture to temper it, then slowly add the rest of the milk and whisk until combined.
- Fold the chocolate and egg mixture gently with a spatula until combined.
- Fill the eight ramekins evenly and bake for 12-14 minutes. You will see a very light crust on the cake top.