20 Fun Facts That Will Make You Want To Travel
While many of us dream of taking off on an epic vacation, sometimes making those dreams a reality can seem almost impossible. But travel actually does a lot more for us besides getting us out of the house or to the beach.
Travel has both physical and emotional benefits, besides giving us a broader scope of the world. And with all the amazing things to see and explore on this planet, you may want to reconsider putting those vacation plans on the back burner.
Here are 20 fun facts that will make you want to travel.
1. Travel has been scientifically proven to improve stress
Studies have shown that travelers report feeling less anxious and more relaxed in as little as three days after they start a vacation.
2. Travel also helps with brain function and problem solving skills
The neural pathways of our brains are affected by both environment and habit. Research indicates that those pathways can be positively affected when we take ourselves into new environments and disrupt the rut of daily life.
3. Travel can improve your heart health
The Framingham Heart Study, conducted on residents of Framingham, Massachusetts, found that people who travel annually were less likely to develop heart disease.
4. Planes are still considered one of the safest modes of travel
Despite the media hype, the fact remains that air travel is still less risky than most other modes of travel. Statistically speaking, you’re more likely to get struck by lightning than die in a plane crash.
5. Vatican City is actually the smallest country in the world
Considered its own entity, it measures just 0.2 square miles.
6. Iceland is considered the friendliest nation on earth
A study conducted by the World Economic Forum cited Iceland as the friendliest country to foreign visitors.
7. Canada has the most lakes in the world
Out of all the lakes in the world, more than 50 percent of them are located in Canada.
8. The world’s biggest ball of twine is located in Cawker City, Kansas
This ball of twine weighs 5,000 pounds and is 8 feet high. Each August, the city holds a “twine-a-thon” where you can add twine to it yourself!
9. Bangkok is one of the most popular destinations
Bangkok, Thailand had more than 20 million international visitors in 2017, making it one of the most traveled destinations in the world.
With more than 40,000 temples, amazing food and affordable lodging, this vibrant city has consistently been at the top of the list for most popular destinations.
12. Dubai has the world’s tallest hotel
Dubai’s recently-opened Gevora Hotel is an unbelievable 365 meters (1,168 feet) tall.
11. The coast of California is approximately 840 miles long
Take a drive along California’s Highway 1 for some of the most scenic and beautiful coastline in the world.
12. Alaska is home to the largest national park in the U.S.
Wrangell St. Elias Park is located in the heart of Alaska and encompasses more than 13.2 million acres.
13. Paris is the world’s most visited capital
Romantic, beautiful and full of history, who wouldn’t want to visit Paris?
14. Mongolia is the least populated country in the world
With less than five people per square mile, you can visit Mongolia and still get plenty of alone time.
15. Approximately half of the highways in Germany have no speed limits
If you feel the need for speed, this might be a great vacation destination for you.
16. Roswell, New Mexico is where an alien spacecraft reportedly crashed in 1947
A popular place to visit for anyone interested in what might be out there, you can go on UFO tours, see the crash site and learn about Area 51.
17. Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is the only living structure than can be spotted from outer space
Located in the Coral Sea, the reef is the world’s biggest structure made from living organisms.
18. Denmark has twice as many bicycles as it does cars
You can easily rent a bike in Copenhagen and traverse the city.
19. Less than one percent of the world’s population has ever been to Antarctica
Tours and cruises can be pretty expensive, but what a great addition to your bucket list!
20. Research indicates that people who spend money on travel as opposed to material goods tend to be happier
As the saying goes, travel is the one thing you can buy that makes you richer.